30. October 2012 17:55
In the wake of Hurricane / Superstorm Sandy, many logistical concerns rose to the surface of the national news. Power disruption and transit infrastructure failures emerged across the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic. From floods in New York and New Jersey to blizzards in West Virginia and Maryland, logistics is a critical factor in both relief efforts and in planning strategies to safeguard against such dangers after future disasters.
14. November 2011 09:35
Recently, Transportation for America released a report with a startling statistic: "There are more deficient bridges in our metropolitan areas than there are McDonald's restaurants in the entire country."
View all sizes, and embed from Flickr. Available for reprint (optimized for 8.5x11 inches).
- Transportation for America: The Fix We're In For: The State of Our Nation's Busiest Bridges | PR
- Daily Kos Labor: Americans cross 18,000 structurally deficient bridges 210 million times a day
- Images: Las Vegas, by Jess1820 | Pittsburgh, by daveynin | US map, by Theshibboleth
What should be done to address the problem of aging infrastructure in the US? What topics would you like to see for future infographics? Please share your comments!
28. October 2011 10:24
Teaching life skills to the undead: Logistical considerations
What's the best way to attract zombies' attention? It's a question you may not have ever asked aloud. Luckily, we can all learn from Brainy's bravery during the Memphis Zombie Massacre 2011. Norfolk Southern's safety spokesbrain demonstrated the message "Look, Listen and Live."
Follow this harebrained guide when helping the undead to safely navigate traffic. Without these tips, you may find yourself feeling frustrated, even brainless. Watch and learn survival techniques for a world of fast-moving trains and slow-moving zombies:
Step 1: Look.
- Some accidents occur once the first train has passed and a second train comes through on a parallel track.
- Modern trains are quieter than ever, often with no "clackety-clack."
- Trains can move in either direction at any time.
Brainy thrilled zombies with the message: Train Your Brain. More...
12. August 2011 15:09
Houston drivers ran into trouble when a trucker's trailer slammed into a highway sign on I-45.
TxDOT estimates that it will need to recover $100,000 in damages from the truck owner. Incredibly, there were no injuries.
Image by D. L.